Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday - Ada Merritt Hobbs Matthews

Yesterday's installment of my grandfather's autobiography included the death of his mother, Ada Merritt Hobbs Matthews.

She died in Carbondale, Pennsylvania in 1919 and was buried with her husband Arthur William Matthews at the Pittston Cemetery.


ADA HOBBS MATTHEWS
WIFE OF ARTHUR W MATTHEWS
SEPTEMBER 1, 1919
AGE 64



As I related shortly after my visit, I was able to find their plot with the help of Ron Faraday, President of the Greater Pittston Historical Society.

3 comments:

  1. Somehow I stumbled on your blog! My name is Kate (Matthews) Gallaher. We have the same great grandfather, Arthur. I have his picture and a hymn composed by him. My father was the youngest son of Frederick Matthews brother to your grandfather, Howard. I have been a church musician & director (piano, flute & voice) my entire life. What a blessing to come across this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - my name is Eric Hunter and my great great grandfather/grandmother are Arthur William Matthews and Ada Merritt Hobbs. They had a daughter named Lillian Matthews who is my great grandmother. I'm just starting a genealogy project and any information you can share on the Matthews family would be appreciated. I believe Arthur William Matthews was born in Coleford, England and Ada was born in London. I don't know anything beyond that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric,

      Great to hear from you! I'd be more than happy to share any information and photos that I have. My email is acmatthews1 (at) verizon (dot) net. If you'll send me your email, I'll give you access to my ancestry tree.

      Delete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...