Saturday, August 8, 2015

Fuel the Find - What I've Been Doing Today

Do you know how FamilySearch.org is able to offer document images for free?

Through volunteers who index records in their collection. It is easy and interesting. Your results will be reviewed, you can choose the level of difficulty and the records you want to index.

FamilySearch is hoping for 100,000 volunteers to help "Fuel the Find" this week. Get more details here.


I only indexed my first few batches of records about a month ago. At the intermediate level, I did find some of them a bit difficult so today I've been indexing Beginner level records. They were New York WW II Fourth Draft Registrations. You may have heard of this referred to as the Old Man's Draft because it involved men from 46-64. They were not registering for military service, but so that the government could inventory manpower. You can read more about it here.

I like indexing this set of records because I live in New York, so I am familiar with some of the town and county names. Of course all records have some challenges. I was able to find a 1940 Rochester City Directory online today to help me decipher the name of one man's employer.

It has been challenging and rewarding and the dishes will just have to wait until tomorrow. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Actually, I'd better get some housework done tomorrow, my Kindle Fire arrives on Monday - yessss!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Anna. I've done quite a bit of volunteer transcribing - first with freeBMD in England, and also with FamilySearch. Yesterday I managed to transcribe over 180 Polish-sounding names on an unusual ship list. Whew. Back to it all week. I wonder how much we all will get transcribed by the end of the week-long challenge, eh?
    Enjoy your Kindle tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Hobbs-Merritt Do-Over

I didn't really rely on someone else's tree to give me the names of my great-grandmother's parents, did I?  Did I??? Ugh, I thi...