Sunday, January 17, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - More 2016 Goals

Yesterday's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun prompt from Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings fits right in with my last posts about goals for 2016. Randy asks about education plans for this year.

The Olin Library at Wesleyan University
taken by my father in 1955.
  
1) What are your genealogy education plans for 2016?  Local society meetings or seminars?  Regional or national conferences?  Weeklong institutes?  Genealogy cruises?  Podcasts?  YouTube Videos?  Webinars or Hangouts On Air?  Magazines?  Websites?  Blogs?

2)  How much time do you invest in Genealogy Education?  Why do you do it?

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook or Google+ post.


My genealogy education plans for 2016 are based on my research goals for the year. Two of my stated genealogy goals for this year are actually about education; to learn more about researching English records and to learn more about researching Swedish records in order to extend my English and Swedish lines and confirm information that I already have.

DearMYRTLE did some brilliant Google+ Hangout/Webinar series last year. Right now I am catching up on the "Tracing Immigrant Origins Study Group".

Watching her earlier series, "Beginning Genealogy Study Group" taught me about the educational tools available at Family Search, so I will be using those as well.

I also have a membership to Legacy Family Tree Webinars. There are some webinars from 2015 about researching Swedish genealogy that I plan to listen to and I'll have a look through their library for other helpful topics.

I'm not sure how many local meetings I'll be attending this year. It seems that the Irish Family History Forum hasn't posted their calendar for 2016 yet, so I'll have to incorporate those as they come.

And of course there are the many blogs that I read on a daily basis. I've been adding more and more to my feedly account this year, mostly from posts at Geneabloggers.

I'm not sure how much time I invest in Genealogy Education. It varies from month to month but has also increased quite a bit from when I first started. I do know this, though, without genealogy education I'm not going to get much farther along in my tree. Digital records are the tip of the iceberg, and records pertaining to anyone's family can be found in little-known places, so education will always be a very important part of my research if it is to be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...