Monday, March 7, 2016

Fearless Females - Day 7 - Recipes

Lisa Alzo, the Accidental Genealogist, started a blogging prompt-series in 2010 in honor of Women's History Month and our female ancestors. If you wish to participate, the prompts are here.

Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother's kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don't have one that's been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.

When I think of my paternal grandmother and food I think of three things; her rich and creamy cheesecake, her pot roast with the darkest gravy you've ever seen, and her delicious Swedish meatballs.  I didn't have any of her recipes until I found her personal recipe book in my stepmother's basement in September.  I still haven't had a chance to try my hand at any of them myself or even scan or copy any of them, but I did recently scan some old slides and guess what we were eating! Here I am goofing around with my dad who took the photo. I can actually taste that cheesecake right now even though I haven't had it in over twenty years.


When I think of my maternal grandmother and food I think of her Christmas baking and her delicious chocolate sauce. My favorites were her lacy cookies, her melt-in-your-mouth shortbread and her Nanaimo bars. I'm making myself hungry! I don't bake cookies much, but I do make her chocolate sauce a couple of times a year. Although I am a chocoholic, this sauce is very sweet and is best served over french vanilla ice cream. I shared the recipe once before for Family Recipe Friday, you can find it here.



It looks a bit thin here but was probably just a bit too hot and settled
in the bottom of the bowl.

One of these days I will try more of these recipes for myself and share them on Family Recipe Friday, too.

1 comment:

  1. That church cookbook reminds me of one I have. I use the recipes often, but more than that I love seeing the names of women I worshiped with, women who taught me to cook, women who have since passed on.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...