Thursday, April 21, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday - Stephen David Matthews b. Apr 20, 1936

Yesterday would have been my father's 80th birthday. Until January two years ago, I had never seen any photos of him as an infant. That is when my step-mother gave me an old plastic bag containing loose photos including this one. I now know from notes on the backs of other photos, which were part of the basement stash uncovered in September, that this was taken when Dad was six-weeks-old.

Dagmar Alice Viola Anderson
Stephen David Matthews
June 1936

This is the building they lived in when Dad was born.

1366 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL

Here is some of the other treasure found in basement six months ago.

Birth Announcement


My grandfather's hospital admission card.

Footprints??

Certificate of Registration of Birth

This is kind of an odd thing. Babies Alumni? And it was issued in 1943. Still, a fun thing to have.



I'm always sad that I was never able to share these things with Dad when he was alive, but I am very grateful to have them now.

3 comments:

  1. It is sad you couldn't look over these with your father. But, how wonderful to have them now! My dad is still alive, but I was thrilled when I visited my uncle about a year and a half ago and got to see my dad's baby book & some of his early artwork. Partly, it reminds you that your own father was once someone's baby! What treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat to have those things though. My dad is still living, but I have never seen any pictures of him as a baby. Any little thing that helps us connect to them is priceless. Glad they found their way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad all those goodies were saved. Baby memorabilia are so sweet. I think those prints look more like hands than feet. Was there a time when hospitals printed hands instead?

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...