Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday - West Covehead Cemetery




Before my parents separated in 1980 we spent our summer vacations on Prince Edward Island in Canada, one of the most beautiful spots in the world. My mother's father had given her a 1 1/3 acre property in Stanhope, about a five minute walk from the beach, as a wedding gift and once she took my father there, he fell in love, too.

For Dad, that meant he wanted to become more than a tourist, especially once he and my mother made the decision to build a cottage on her property. One way he accomplished this was to volunteer at the Prince Edward Island Genealogical Society transcribing headstones.


These photos were taken at West Covehead Cemetery, also known as the St. James United Cemetery.


I looked on Find A Grave and Billion Graves for any photos that would help me identify this stone, but didn't have any luck.



I remember being somewhat interested in my parents' project but also hot and a bit bored. Little did I know that thirty-ahem years later I wouldn't have enough time to get to all the cemeteries on my list!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project your dad took on. And there you were,witnessing genealogy in action before it ever became your own passion. (PEI is on my bucket list --!just love Anne of Green Gables!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get there, it has been many years since I've been there and it has always stayed with me.

      Delete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...