Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday - The Andersons

Last spring Donald and I visited Manchester, Connecticut when they opened their Town Hall records room for a Family History Day. After lunch we headed to East Cemetery where I knew I had relatives in at least three plots.



This plot holds at least seven of my ancestors starting with my maternal grandmother's parents, Carl Johan Anderson and Mathilda Alfina Johnson. Buried with them are their sons, Axel Heinrich Waldemar and Elmer Carl Ragnar, their wives, Anna Elizabeth Peterson and Isabel Madeline Weir and the baby, Robert Ragnar, that Elmer and Isabel lost only a few days after he was born in 1922.


The seven burials in this plot were confirmed for me by the cemetery office before we left for Manchester, and this headstone with the initials of my relatives engraved around the base, was the only one shown on Find-A-Grave, but when we arrived at the cemetery we found two more stones there, both courtesy of the US Military.


The first was for Uncle Elmer, who's burial the cemetery office had already confirmed.


The second unexpected stone was for Axel and Anna's oldest, Gilbert Waldemar Anderson. I must admit that I have not contacted the cemetery again or in any way tried to confirm whether or not Gilbert is buried here. I will have to add that to my to-do list and ask my cousin, Gilbert's niece, if she knows where he is buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...