Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday - The Gustafsons of Manchester, CT

Lillian Hildur Johnson is someone in my tree that I would like to know more about. I wish I'd had the same curiosity when she was still alive.

Aunt Lil, who is actually my cousin, was the daughter of my great-grandmother's sister, Anna Olivia Johnson. Lillian is buried with her husband's family, the Gustafsons, in the same cemetery as her parents and my great-grandparents, East Cemetery in Manchester, CT.


When I was preparing for my trip to Manchester I was very surprised to learn via Find-A-Grave that she had lived to the age of 107.  She died only a year before my father. I don't even remember hearing anything about her having a 100th birthday celebration.


An online obituary for Aunt Lillian says that she was one of the first women to vote in the state of Connecticut. I definitely want to learn more about her and will have to research this branch of my family more thoroughly.

1 comment:

  1. Funny she was called Aunt when she was really a cousin, but the age difference makes it understandable.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...