Tuesday, May 22, 2018

GDPR and my Blog

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry to say that I just don't have the time right now to deal with what I would need to do in order to be compliant with this new law applying to readers from the EU and Google (Blogger) has not been responsive to requests for help from their users in any forum that I can find.

I have saved my posts and hope to move to a new platform in the next few months, or if I decide that I can keep my blog here I have 90 days to reactivate it once deactivated.

If you need any of the resources or instructions to find records that I have shared, please save that information for yourself in the next two days, I will be deleting my blog on the 24th, at least for now.

5 comments:

  1. Anna, I've been corresponding with a European friend who says they are really only going to go after big companies who flaunt the law. That being said, I wouldn't ignore it, but if like me, you don't run a business, I just went through and deleted any comments from Europeans and posted my privacy statement online yesterday in a regular post. This is a hassle, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I saw your post yesterday and spent a little time trying to figure out if Blogger has a way to block EU readers as a temporary measure until I have time to make and execute a plan for this, but I wasn't able to. I realize that any company is in a bad position trying to give blanket legal advice to all of its users but I am really disappointed in what I'm seeing in the help areas from Google. It seems like they want all of our info and no responsibility - exactly what this law seems to be addressing actually. I just won't have time in the next two or three weeks to really dig into this, so better safe than sorry.

      Delete
  2. Anna, I really hope you don't give up blogging. Would miss your voice. Like you, I've been hoping Blogger would give us assistance but seems we're on our own here. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad to hear this, Anna. I have so enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for writing it! I do hope you'll be back and I'll be able to find you. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you'll wait a few more days, Anna. I'm compiling a list of posts and resources giving more detailed info about GDPR. It looks like the requirements for those not running a business are limited. My post will probably go up later this afternoon. It might help you make up your mind. Hope you decide to keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Hobbs-Merritt Do-Over

I didn't really rely on someone else's tree to give me the names of my great-grandmother's parents, did I?  Did I??? Ugh, I thi...