Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sepia Saturday 216: Suits and Hats

When I first saw the prompt for this Sepia Saturday, I immediately thought of one of the photos from my grandfather's albums from Bishops College School.  Something about this photo has amused me since the first time I saw it.

Prefects - 15

Bishops College School (BCS) was a prep school for boys only in Lennoxville, Quebec back when my grandfather and some of his brothers attended.  Today it is co-ed having amalgamated with King's Hall Compton, a girls' school, in the 70s.

This photo was taken by my grandfather, George Washington Smith, who was born on February 22, 1898.  He was a student in 1915 when he took this picture which includes his brother Herb (second from left) when he took this picture captioned in his album, "Prefects 15."

What I think I find amusing about this photo is that these four boys don't look like prefects to me; they look like they are having a very serious clandestine meeting, like the heads of four families, or their consiglieri.  Maybe it's the hats.  As was pointed out in the post for this week's prompts, hats did not survive as a fashion choice in the same way that suits have and these days we see them most often in period movies, or at Sepia Saturday.

Thank you for stopping by and giving me an excuse to share one of my favorite old photos.  Happy Sepia Saturday!

11 comments:

  1. And a nice old photo it is, too. Goodness - they look so fresh-faced & young. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. A super photo. Do you think they would be flattered to know that we think they look like "made" guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hats are gorgeous and I'd love to know what the four of them are up to. They do look a bit worried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first reaction was who is about to wear cement shoes? I'm glad you went in that direction because I didn't want to offend. But they do look like a cast from a Martin Scorcese film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been the fashion to wear their hats tipped back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a Happy Sepia Saturday to you. It is, indeed, a wonderful photograph and I too was drawn straight to those serious expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And fitting to use your grandfather's photo on the anniversary of his birth. The guys do look quite serious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like the prefects at my school - smoking behind the bike sheds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hats make the boys look quite a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look pretty serious about something.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Hobbs-Merritt Do-Over

I didn't really rely on someone else's tree to give me the names of my great-grandmother's parents, did I?  Did I??? Ugh, I thi...