Thursday, September 16, 2021

Getting my Genealogy Groove Back


Linea Vulgaris, better known as Butter and Eggs. Prince Edward Island, Canada


I was giving my blog a little makeover last week and realized it had been almost a year since my last post. I'm not sure if it is good or bad that it doesn't seem close to that, but it is what it is.

I dipped my toe back into research a couple of months ago, starting with Donald's Irish ancestors in NYC and subscribing again to Find My Past. Nothing like some great parish records and confusing census records (are they sons??? are they nephews???) to get the juices flowing again. Next it was a membership to the New York Genealogical & Biographical Society (NYG&B) and a ticket to their virtual New York State Family History Conference.

Researching Donald's family after so much time away from any research made me realize that my process needs some tweaking. I've been doing a little work in Evernote and downloaded Clooz, which I am trying out in a free two week trial, and in a case of perfect timing, watching a series of Lisa Louise Cooke's weekly live videos (Thursday's at noon, Eastern) on how she avoids BSO rabbit holes, how she uses Evernote and her research process.

I also joined WikiTree last week, and lastly, I just registered for the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa's conference (Irish Lines and Female Finds) which starts in a few days. It's a great deal at just $45 Canadian which today was just over $37 US.

WikiTree has been doing some fun stuff lately, working on the brick walls of some well-known genealogists and making great finds. Definitely worth checking out.

Well, I am off to watch that Lisa Louise Cooke video, but if anyone reading this has tried or currently uses Clooz, I would love to hear your experiences with it. Hope to post again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Please blog a bit when you have some experience trying Clooz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'll be watching a demo today and working with it today or tomorrow.

      Delete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...