Monday, May 6, 2024

Spring Cleaning - Bookmarks

I made it! My desktop PC was getting slower and slower last week, but my new laptop shipped earlier than expected and arrived on Friday and I can't tell you how happy I am to have a laptop again. The setup was so quick and easy, there was just one hiccup, but that turned out to be an opportunity.

Microsoft Edge, the pre-installed browser on this computer, supposedly imported all of my Chrome settings, but it would not import my bookmarks for some reason. While I realize I could just download Chrome, and I still may, I thought I'd hold off and give Edge a try. And this was an opportunity, I realized, to go through all those bookmarks, which I could still access from the Chrome app on my phone, because at the very least, I knew some could be better organized.

Once I got started, I saw that there were more than a few bookmarks, even an entire folder, I'd completely forgotten about.  I had probably added them mid-webinar or while I was reading a book and never looked at them again. Of course, there were a few dead links, but for the most part, they just needed some reorganization.

It's hard to say how long this took me, since I took full advantage of the portability of the laptop, paired with my new lift top coffee table and did it while watching NHL playoffs, but it was long enough to make me realize this should be added to some of the things I do on a regular basis. I may actually do it monthly, along with my data backups. It could probably be done quarterly or semi-annually but doing it monthly will mean that I'll be less likely to forget about any links I've added on the fly.

Next spring cleanup item: the files that were on the desktop of my old PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Spring Cleaning - Bookmarks

I made it! My desktop PC was getting slower and slower last week, but my new laptop shipped earlier than expected and arrived on Friday and ...