Thursday, May 21, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over Cycle 2 - Week 4

I have fallen much further behind in the do-over than I thought I would.  It started when I was planning for a research trip to Manchester, CT a few weeks ago and then snowballed as these things do. I actually started writing this post over a week ago and then pushed it off for this week because I am home on staycation!!!!

Here are a few photos from our trip.

Emanuel Lutheran Church - Manchester, CT

Bennett Apartments - formerly South Manchester High School, Manchester, CT
Gravestone of my great-grandparents and great-aunts and uncles at East Cemetery, Manchster, CT.

Lillian Johnson Gustafson of Manchester, CT (Rt)
If I hadn't prepared well for the trip, including uploading the last photo above to Dropbox I might not have discovered that a genealogist we were meeting with was also Lillian's cousin!

But back to the do-over.  Thomas says the Week 4 topics are not essential but for me they may well be if I am going to stay on track and remember where I was when I went off track. They are 1 - Managing Projects and Tasks and 2 - Tracking Searches.




Managing my tasks is something I think I'm going to do with the Research Log for now, using the To Do tab.  When things get more complex, as they do, I'll probably use One Note.  I started using One Note at the office a few weeks ago and I really like it in almost a "where have you been all my life" kind of way!  I can definitely see myself using it for genealogy and even home organization as well.

Tracking Searches is something I think I must really do for myself. I love to use google for free research and ideas but doing the same search over and over is just a time waster and who wants that?  So, I plan to use Thomas's sheet for now.

Unbelievably my staycation is almost over already!  What time I have devoted to genalogy has been spent scanning Dad's old slides, reorganizing my cloud storage and organizing a bunch of loose photos that I inherited from my grandparents.

I'll be working on Thomas' Week 5 topics tonight and tomorrow and will probably post again tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Hobbs-Merritt Do-Over

I didn't really rely on someone else's tree to give me the names of my great-grandmother's parents, did I?  Did I??? Ugh, I thi...