Monday, December 21, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Christmas Wishes

I'm not strictly following Thomas MacEntee's description of today's theme. Instead of my own Christmas wishes, I thought this would be a great opportunity to show off one of my favorite genealogy finds.

In December of 1909, when my grandfather was eight, the Pittson Gazette of Pittston, PA reprinted childrens' letters to Santa., including his:

Pittston Gazette, 22nd December 1909, Wed, Page 14
________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Santa,
I heard that you were coming to Pittston. I would like to have a pair of kid gloves and a work shop and a flexible flyer sled and a box of handkerchiefs and a box of writing paper. I guess this will be all for this time.
Your friend.
Howard Matthews
13 Nafus St.
Pittston Pa
 ________________________________________________________________________________

I had never seen any photos of my grandfather as a child until very recently. This came from Dad's basement stash
Howard B Matthews - date unk.


Isn't he adorable? This photo is now one of my most prized possessions. And that basement stash feels like many years worth of Christmas wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...