Friday, January 20, 2017

Family Recipe Friday - Spritz Cookies

On New Year's Eve Day Donald and I had lunch with my stepmother at the home she shared with my father before he died in 2005. Some of you may remember that we spent two very full days there in September of 2015 finding amazing photos, family keepsakes, etc.

I'd had this nagging feeling ever since that I didn't take a close enough look at the cookbook section of Dad's library and might have missed some of my grandmother's recipes, so I was very happy to discover that almost nothing had been touched since our last visit. After lunch I headed down there and found that I was right!


These are the cookbooks that I brought home. One is a Swedish cookbook, apparently a gift from my great-aunt Anna to my grandmother, that had three distinctly different recipes for Swedish rye bread on index cards paper-clipped to the back cover. Some of the others are church cookbooks, most of which contain recipes supplied by family and family friends. One is from 1932 and another had additional recipes written in blank spaces in my grandmother's handwriting.


This cookbook, from my grandparents church in Middletown, CT, begins with a history of the church, which was a nice score. It also contains two cookie recipes that my grandmother submitted. I decided to make the Spritz cookies last weekend.  Although I had a few issues with our cookie press (an ancient, as seen on TV, Super Shooter) they were as good as I remembered, like taking a trip down memory lane.



6 comments:

  1. Yum. Your Grandma's spritz cookies sound great, and the plate you show looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marian, they were too good and gone too fast!

      Delete
  2. Anna,

    Yummy! I love Spritz Cookies!

    I want to let you know that your wonderful blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2017/01/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-january-20.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post. Christmas just isn't Christmas for me unless I make my Swedish Spritz using my great grandmother's recipe. It's so basic that I assumed all Spritz recipes were pretty much the same, but I see that you have a nice variation here with the almonds and only using egg yolks. These looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too bad that I didn't find these recipes in time for Christmas but now I have time to experiment with them for next year. I found another family recipe for Spritz that is quite different, I assumed they would all be more similar as well.

      Delete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Hobbs-Merritt Do-Over

I didn't really rely on someone else's tree to give me the names of my great-grandmother's parents, did I?  Did I??? Ugh, I thi...