Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Tombstone Tuesday - The Bean Family Plot in Waterville, Quebec


My mother and I visited Greenwood Cemetery in Waterville, Quebec in September. We had been here four years ago, but that was after six inches of snow fell the night before we drove up from Long Island. This time it was a chilly but crisp and sunny morning and I was ready to get to work.


Although the stone was wet and therefore darker the last time we were here, I'm sure that this stone has been cleaned. I have a distant cousin in the area and I have heard that she and her husband clean stones.

The footstones did not appear to have been cleaned, and in fact, had quite a bit of moss that had to be removed from the letters (with just my gardening glove-covered hands) before I could take photos. Thank goodness for the plastic tarp-covered pillow that I made part of my cemetery kit last year, it really saved my knees!


Denison Bean was my 2nd great-grandfather. He and Jane Louisa Emery were married in 1872 and had five children, two of whom are buried in this plot.


Next to Denison and Jane is their youngest son, Harold Bean, his wife Lena Hill and their daughter Jessie Eva Bean. Their footstone is a completely different style than the rest of those in this plot and is so overgrown it is almost illegible.


Frederick William Bean was Denison and Jane's eldest son.


He married Amelia Hannah Hodgson in 1901 and together they had seven children.


Two of their children are buried here.

It must have been readily apparent when Amelia Irene Bean was born that she would not survive, according to church records, she was baptized the same day she was born and buried the following day.


Verna Kathleen Bean was Amelia and Frederick's second child and eldest daughter.


Dennison and Jane had three other children; Frank Denison Bean who died just before his 5th birthday and is buried in a cemetery a couple of miles away, Sylvia Emilia Bean who married Samuel Smith and moved to Vermont, and my great-grandmother Eva Maude Bean who married in 1901 and is buried with her husband in next door North Hatley.

Frederick and Amelia's eldest child, Hubert Bean, moved to California and is buried there. I haven't yet researched their other children; Marion Bean, Percival Bean, Gordon Bean, and Frederick Bean.

1 comment:

  1. Hello 'neighbour'.. my parents are buried here at Greenwood (Bradley/Loomis) and I'll be rooted here one day too. :) It's a lovely little cemetery. I'm certain your 'kin' were happy that you stopped by for a visit. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...