Friday, July 26, 2019

Scanning and Preservation - The GW Smith Albums

My grandfather, George Washington Smith, and his camera.
I think the sling on his right arm is to help keep the camera steady.
I wonder how much it weighed?

As I mentioned in my last post, the main focus of my scanning and preservation this year have been three photo albums that belonged to my grandfather, with photos taken from 1911-1919.

These photos were among the first things I scanned when I began my genealogy journey, but I wasn't happy with the job that I did and after last year's discovery that a local archive has some pretty poor quality copies of some of these photos, I decided that I would rescan the albums for myself, my cousins and to share with the Eastern Townships Resource Centre in Quebec.

Finally, the albums are rescanned ✔



I created an index in Excel as I went along ✔


I uploaded the scans and index to Dropbox ✔

I put archival tissue paper between the pages of each album and to fill the empty spaces in the temporary acid-free box.✔



I emailed the link to the ERTC ✔

To Do:

Order archival boxes for the albums

Finish labeling all of my scans for the Smith family to upload to Dropbox and share with family

I should also mention that I confirmed during my visit to this archive last September that they wanted these scans and before I started scanning I checked with the archivist that my scanning method would work for them (600 dpi, .tif format, no color correction, upload to Dropbox). The only thing that Jody asked was that I scan any photos smaller than 2 x 2 inches at 1200 dpi which I was happy to do.

I heard back from Jody after she received my link and she was very happy to have these images and the additional information that I was able to provide for the images already in their collection. As I said in my previous post, I love these photos, but I am so happy that I'm almost done with this project!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! You are a role model for how to do this in a way that will benefit researchers interested in the time and place. I will investigate doing this for my late dad-in-law's 1917 road trip photo album. Thanks for the idea -- and the detailed process description.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...