Sunday, November 21, 2021

Stir Up Sunday

I grew up in the Episcopal Church, a member church of the Anglican Communion. In fact, until I was about six, my father was an Episcopal priest.

Today is the Sunday before Advent and the collect for the day in the Anglican Book of Common prayer begins something like "Stir up, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people". Today is also the day that many Anglicans make their Christmas puddings, or, like our family did back when, their fruit cakes. Add these things together and you get Stir-Up Sunday.

Unfortunately, I have not continued this tradition, not being a fan of fruit cake, but I do have some photos of my and my mother stirring up the batter back in the late 70s.




Let the Christmas traditions begin!

1 comment:

  1. Such nostalgic photos of you and your Mom making memories on Stir Up Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...