Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday - Lucy Hamilton Smith and Frederick Albert Sawer

I recently posted photos from our trip to Quebec and the two cemeteries that we were able to visit, including Elmwood Cemetery in Sherbrooke, Quebec. What you can't see in those photos, because I forgot to take a picture of the entire plot, is that my great-grandparents are buried in a large plot for 12 people.



Buried with George and Isabelle are three of their children, the spouses of two of those children and the two sons of their eldest son, both with their wives, leaving one spot empty.

Lucy Hamilton Smith was the oldest of George and Isabella's children and named for her maternal grandmother, Lucy A.B. Hamilton, who had passed away in 1881. Lucy was born when the family lived in Buckingham, with her maternal grandfather, George Lakin Parker.



Lucy married Frederick Albert Sawer on December 4, 1918 in Thetford Mines, Quebec. They had no children but doted on their nieces and nephews.



Unfortunately for me, I never knew Aunt Lucy and Uncle Fred who died in early and late 1964 before I was born. I wish I had known them though, just from pictures I sense that Aunt Lucy was a very interesting person!


2 comments:

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...