Monday, October 16, 2017

NGSQ Study Groups



Do you know about this benefit of National Genealogical Society membership?

NGS members not only have access to the quarterly journal and other publications (including an online digital archive) but we are also able to virtually meet with other genealogists and discuss some of the NGSQ articles together in a monthly study group.

As someone relatively new to the formal study of genealogy, I was very happy to read about the NGSQ study groups on a blog that I cannot remember now. There are currently four groups; the one I joined that meets the second Tuesday of the month at 8:00 p.m. Eastern time on Google+ Hangouts (headset and webcam required), two that meet on a chat platform and another in Second Life.

My first attempt to join was foiled by a technical glitch on my end, but I was able to join last Tuesday evening. A different glitch meant that I wasn't able to print the article until the day before the meeting and only had time to read it through once, so I just listened this time and followed along with the discussion which centered around a handful of questions that our moderator posted a few days ahead of time.

I always learn from reading journal articles, but the study group taught me a few more things, too. And of course,  just knowing that you are going to be part of a discussion gives your regular reading more focus.

No attendance is taken here, so don't hesitate to join just because you may not be able to make it every month. If you want to learn more, even if you aren't an NGS member at the moment, you can follow this link to the NGSQ Study Group page.

Maybe I'll see you there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...