Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tombstone Tuesday - George Washington Smith and Marjorie Elizabeth Dean



George Washington Smith, my maternal grandfather, was the 5th child and 4th son of George Robert Smith and Frances Isabella Parker. I'm sure I've mentioned here before that my grandfather, although Canadian, was named for America's first president because he was born on February 22nd to an American father.



He married Marjorie Elizabeth Dean, my grandmother, at Minton United Church in North Hatley, Quebec on August 10, 1935. Together they had one daughter, my mother, Janet Isabella.

My grandmother is not the only Dean buried in this large and pretty cemetery. Her aunt Maggie Dean and husband William Thompson are buried here as well as her uncle Robert Irwin Dean and his wife Georgie Talbot. Unfortunately we didn't get here early enough in the day to get help from the office in finding those graves this past visit.

Although my grandparents are buried at Elmwood Cemetery in Sherbrooke, Quebec, they are not in the large Smith plot. My grandfather and his younger brother bought adjoining plots in another section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...