Sunday, February 3, 2019

Genealogy Goals - January



It is the day after Groundhog Day and since I only posted once last month, I thought I would do a little progress report on my goals for 2019.

If you saw my last post you know I only just managed to get my Honor Roll post in for the month. It was a combination of factors that led to my almost missing my deadline, but I'm happy to say that the day I photographed the memorial park in Malverne, I also photographed another memorial and revisited two more for some additional photos. So, no matter what the weather brings now through April, I should have no problems getting those three memorials transcribed and posted on time.

One goal that was not met was my 2 hours of Family Search indexing. I remembered in time (just) but my computer sits in the coldest corner of our apartment. The heat in our lovely but older building doesn't do well with consecutive days of subzero wind chills so I decided my time was better spent snuggling on the couch with our dog, DJ. I did get two hours in yesterday and hope to do another two hours soon so I don't forget again.

Progress on the first three generations of documentation for my DAR application has been slower than expected. My mother can't locate a couple of things she has and I'm waiting to see if she can find them before I spend money on duplicates.

I'm still working on finding my great-grandmother in passenger lists but I did fall a bit behind in my reading on the subject. Having to renew one of those library books today put a flame under me, so I'm planning to finish it soon. I'm also planning to visit my local Family History Center next week to access Arkiv Digital and see if I can find the date that their church says the three girls left Sweden.

My first scanning project for the year is going to be rescanning my grandfather's 100+-year-old albums. I'll be sharing the scans with family, of course, but also with the Eastern Townships Resource Centre in Lennoxville, Quebec, so I reached out to them to see if my scans will work for them (.tif format, 600 dpi, no color correction and shared on Dropbox), which they will.  I also bought some archival tissue to put between the pages of the albums when I'm done scanning them. Hopefully, by the time I'm finished scanning, there will be room in my budget for some proper boxes for them as well.

I spent a good deal of time building a tree for my mother in her Ancestry account after she took her DNA test. I also began my DNA education by reading Blain Bettinger's "The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy." Mum's results came in on the 19th. No big discoveries yet, but I did get genetic confirmation of some 1st and 3rd cousins which is reassuring! I was hoping to have her mtDNA tested with Family Tree DNA, but with the recent news about their opening their database to law enforcement, I am reconsidering. I have no problem with law enforcement pursuing every avenue open to them, but I have a huge problem with FTDNA's apparent lack of transparency about their decision.

Finally, I have listened to quite a few podcasts last month; From Paper to People, Research at the National Archives and Beyond (now Ancestors' Footprints),  Genealogy Guys and Genealogy Connection, Extreme Genes, Genealogy Happy Hour and Ben Franklin's World.

All things considered, I think I did pretty well in January and I'm looking forward to the rest of 2019!

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear that you put up an Ancestry tree to supplement the DNA testing. So often I find a match but there is NO tree, and then I have to send a note. . . which might not necessarily be answered. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...