Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The Honor Roll Project - Wantagh, NY

 As part of Heather Wilkinson Rojo's Honor Roll Project, I have transcribed these Rolls of Honor in Wantagh, NY to make the names visible to search engines so that family researchers can find them. Please consider finding the Honor Roll(s) in your town or village and transcribing them on your blog or website. Some rolls are long and some are short but there's no deadline, you can take as long as you need to transcribe an honor roll.  I've learned so much about local history through this project and when someone finds the name of an ancestor in one of my posts they are grateful and excited! And even if you don't have a blog or website, you can ask me or another participating blogger. I would be happy to create a post to share your photos and transcription!


This roll of honor was found in Triangle Park in Wantagh, NY, just across from the Long Island Rail Road station.

I could not find any sign or plaque that gave any details about the names found here. The only plaque was this one which tells who contributed to the dedication of the park.



Their country found them ready:

Leroy T. Wells
J. Lawrence Ward
James W. Magee
Lyman Dean
George B. Box
Frank H. Britton
Walter F. Husted
George Siems
John W.E. Bodley
Edwin R. Wendler
John Box
Ralph Haven
Joseph K. Hunt
Michael Colangione
George A. Seaman
J. Erwin Fussell
Paul Lang
Joseph Foster
Otto Helwig
★Bergen R. Seaman
W. Harold Van Tuyl
Lewis E. Ashdown
Russell V. Box
W. Everett Jeffrey
Rudolph Krause
William Nohejl
Grover C.D. Siems
Dunham Norton
Conrad Rogg
Russell Jones
Clarence L. Jackson
Frank A. Link
Corodon Norton, Jr.
Joseph I. Smith
George Soper
Lester B. Weibel
J. Edward Hunt
August Fuhrer

I would think that the star next to Bergen R. Seaman's name indicates that he was killed in action, as it does on other rolls of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...