Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Verifying What is Written in Stone VII - John Barry

 


This is part seven of verifying the information on this headstone from Donald's family. The next death chronologically is John Barry.

John Barry, although not stated on the stone, was the son of William and Winifred, their eldest child together, born a year after their marriage. Although John lived to adulthood and had possibly been married (his death index entry says he was a widower but I have not yet verified a marriage), his death in 1914 means that poor Winifred buried three of her five children before she died in 1928.

Find My Past has a baptismal record for a John William Barry with a birth date that matches the stone exactly and FamilySearch has a death index entry for a John James Barry with a death date that matches the stone exactly. Both of these documents include the names of John's parents, and John William is the name the enumerator recorded in the 1880 US Census, but importantly, I don't yet know who the informant was for John's death certificate. In any case, I'm mostly comfortable with those documents being a match to this John Barry.

Of course, things may change with further research, but I believe that in this case, the information on the stone for John Barry is correct.

The New York State Family History Conference at the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society is over and Donald's surgery was postponed until December, so I should be able to post regularly again. This week I'm also hoping to get my Feedly set up again and read the latest issue of The Record from the NYG&B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...