Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Honor Roll Project - Merrick, NY Part II

 


In March, I posted the transcription of an honor roll in Merrick, NY that contains the names of those from Merrick and North Merrick, NY killed in action in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq. This summer while waiting for a car in front of me to make a turn, I noticed the plaque at the bottom right of this photo.  Now, I can transcribe the names of those from the village of Merrick who served in WWI.




The building, as the historical markers tell us, is the fourth home of the first library of Merrick, now closed to the public. I don't know how many times in my life I have passed by without giving it a second thought. It sits on a fairly busy road that I travel often and where I once had physical therapy a few blocks away. But that was years before I started researching family, much less transcribing rolls of honor.



ALL SERVED FAITHFULLY NONE DIED

IN HONOR OF THOSE OF THIS VILLAGE WHO ANSWERED THE CALL OF THEIR COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WAR 1917-1918

Walter E. Angell
Albert J. Betts
Harold Bunker
John Lawrence Burns
John Cameron
H. Schuyler Cammann
Frank B. Carpenter
Tony Carra
Willet C. Cheshire
Layton E. Clark
Eugene Clement
Frank O. Colvin
Herbert A. Colvin
Philip Distefano
George B. Draper
Arthur F. Fish
George F. Giraud
T. Frederick Hall
Alexander D. Harvey
Frederick C. Hewlett
Alfred A. Heuerman
Charles Kupfer
Charles Lawrence
Bryan Loman
Kathleen Loman
Leonard Loman
Charles Mecking
Gustave B. Muller
Henry G. Muller
Herbert A. Muller
George W. Mulcahy
James F. Mulcahy
Beverley W. Robinson
Charles R. Rowe
Francis Savona
Frederick Schebe
Herman C. Schwab
Charles F. Simes
Robert J. Spearman
Walter E. Spear
Calvin Valentine
Albert C. Verratti
Harry T. Northridge

DEDICATED BY THE CITIZENS OF MERRICK
NOVEMBER 11, 1924

While I was searching for information about this library, I came across The Historical Marker Database, a site that catalogs markers including historical markers and rolls of honor. You can find their transcription and photos of this plaque here.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice plaque...many near me are also attached to boulders in public places.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...