Wednesday, February 7, 2024

52 Ancestors - Earning A Living


In 2017 PBS and BBC aired a short reality series called "Victorian Slum House." Despite the title, it was a fascinating recreation of life in London's East End. Each family group that participated was faced with different challenges and viewers had the opportunity to see some of the ways that semi-skilled and unskilled laborers earned a living in the Victorian era; how much they made, how the families lived and what could happen when they were faced with various obstacles.

If you've never seen this series and are in the US, you can still watch the five episodes with a membership to PBS Passport, it looks like they will be available until May and each one is just under an hour.

When I first started researching my family it was enough for me to know that my 2nd great-grandfather, Joseph Elijah Hobbs of Somerset, England, was an edge tool maker and that my 3rd great-grandmother on another branch, Elizabeth Louden, was a straw bonnet maker. I've been able to find a pretty detailed description of how Elizabeth would have made her straw bonnets and a less detailed description of edge tool making, but now I want more detail.

How many days a week did they work? How many hours per day? Did Joseph work for himself, a local smith, a larger factory? Was it noisy, hot and smelly? What kind of income did he earn? What kind of home could the family afford? Did Elizabeth make the bonnets at home? Was it enough to support herself and her three children after emigrating to Canada from Scotland? Did she work around the clock? Did she sell her bonnets directly to her customers, or was she doing piece-work for a local milliner, or was there some other arrangement? Who were her customers?

This type of research is new to me and Google hasn't given me much. Since Joseph Hobbs is in one of the lines that I've already committed to researching this year, I'm starting with a locality guide for Somerset and hoping that this will give me some leads. Once I get into that, I plan to make inquiries at local libraries and archives to see if anyone there can point me in the right direction. I think there are trade directories that I can look for?

Anyway, that is the plan for now, it may change as I learn more, and as I learn, I will share my outcomes with you.

Image from: The New York Public Library. "New England bonnet makers" The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1866. https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e1-20ce-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...