Friday, February 16, 2024

52 Ancestors - Heirloom - My great-grandmother's Bible


Researching my paternal grandfather's maternal lines has meant starting over to a greater degree than I realized at first and I've found myself examining everything, including the few heirlooms I have from this branch.

I've shared photos here before of this Bible that belonged to my great-grandmother, Ada Merritt Hobbs, but it's been quite a while since I've examined it. Probably since I photographed it in 2015. The inscription reads:

Ada Hobbs
Elm
November 1867
E.M.H.

Looking at it again, I realized that this inscription was likely made by Ada's mother, my 2nd great-grandmother, Elizabeth Merritt.

Elm is a town in the county of Somerset in England. Baptismal records show, I believe, that at least two generations of Hobbs lived in Elm for at least part of their lives. Ada would have been twelve in November of 1867, so I wonder if this was a gift for her Confirmation. Although it seems a bit formal to me for a mother to inscribe her daughter's Bible with her initials (E.M.H. for Elizabeth Merritt Hobbs), I can't really say what the custom would have been 150 years ago.

This Bible must have been very special to my great-grandmother, especially since she lost both of her parents the following year and had to leave England not long after to join her siblings in Pennsylvania.





My grandfather was 18 when his mother died, I believe that a lot of Ada's possessions naturally went to her older children, but I'm very glad that this Bible found it's way to those musty book shelves in my dad's house and eventually to me. And I highly recommend examining your treasures every so often. You never know what might "click" after more research.

1 comment:

  1. A very special heirloom, and in such good condition! TY for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

A quick English research tip and my PC's last days.

Arthur William Matthews Colorized by MyHeritage This year's tackling of the Hobbs branch of my tree is my first real go at English resea...