Monday, May 23, 2016

Honor Roll Project - South Side Middle School WWI Memorial

I grew up in Rockville Centre, NY on Long Island. I've lived here most of my life. I went to South Side Middle School here for two years some number of years ago. I don't remember ever being aware before a few months ago that the building was also a World War I Memorial.

I noticed these plaques on either side of the front of the building one morning when Donald and I were out walking our dog. I guess I'm just more interested in older buildings now than I was when I was fourteen.

I should have taken photos when I first made this discovery. Now there are leaves on the trees directly in front and some construction going on which blocked some access and made taking photos from a good angle a bit challenging.


THIS BUILDING
ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE
OF ROCKVILLE CENTRE
IS A MEMORIAL TO
THE MEMBERS OF
THE COMMUNITY WHO
SERVED WITH THE
ARMED FORCES OF
THE UNITED STATES
IN THE WORLD WAR
1917-1918



 IN MEMORIAM
JAMES DONATO
HAROLD LASELLE FISKE
DANIEL H JOHNSON
LOUIS ELMER LANGDON
WINONA CAROLINE MARTIN
EDWIN WILLIAM MILLER
FRANCISCO MOLLISSE
JOSEPH MARIA MURPHY
DENIS HERBERT O'DOWD
WARREN WARTMAN STEIN

THEY MADE THE SUPREME
SACRIFICE IN THE
WORLD WAR 1917-1918
AND ROCKVILLE CENTRE
KEEPS THEM IN UNDYING
REMEMBRANCE

I've been doing some research about these plaques but I'll save that for another post. I'll let this post stand as it should as a memorial to those who gave their lives for their country.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo of Nutfield Genealogy has created the Honor Roll project to help people find their ancestors and relatives in local memorials and honor rolls. You can learn more here.

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool that you were able to attend school in such an old, historic building. I look forward to learning more about the plaques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denis Herbert O'Dowd was the rector of the Church of the Ascension in Rockville Centre from 1910 until 1917. He left to join the service and was killed in an airplane crash over the base he was stations at.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Hobbs-Merritt Do-Over

I didn't really rely on someone else's tree to give me the names of my great-grandmother's parents, did I?  Did I??? Ugh, I thi...