Thursday, May 19, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday - Vacations III

Over two weekends last September, Donald and I went through my step-mother's basement, finding many hidden treasures from my Dad's family in the way of Bibles, books, furniture, documents, photos, negatives, china and silver. After months of airing-out I am trying to devote at least an hour every week to scanning and photographing these items and sharing them with you on Treasure Chest Thursday.

For the last two weeks I have been posting photos from Dad's scrapbook/album:



We are now up to the last trip in this album, Concord, Massachusetts. I've never been there myself, but seeing what my dad put together in this album after his visit, probably about 1951, makes me want to get in the car and visit right now.

"The Minute Man Statue"
"The inscription on the back of the statue"

I love that Dad included this in his album. It is transcribed at the bottom of the post.


"A plaque on the Concord battlefield"
"By the rude bridge that arched the flood..."

"Old Manse
The home of Ralph Waldo Emerson
It was from here that Emerson's
grandfather watched the famous battle"
Sadly, that is the last trip in this album. I have one more album to share starting next week.


The Concord Hymn
by
Ralph Waldo Emerson

          By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
               Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
          Here once the embattled farmers stood,
               And fired the shot heard round the world.

          The foe long since in silence slept,
               Alike the conqueror silent sleeps,
          And Time the ruined bridge has swept,
               Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.

          On this green bank, by this soft stream,
               We set today a votive stone;
          That memory may their deed redeem,
               When, like our sires, our sons are gone.

          Spirit, that made those heroes dare
               To die, and leave their children free,
          Bid Time and Nature gently spare
               The shaft we raise to them and thee.

4 comments:

  1. Emerson's home is what I think of when I imagine New England homes. I'd like to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it though? Like those lovely old homes on This Old House.

      Delete
  2. I visited there quite a few years ago and loved the trip. Sadly, I didn't do as well as your dad did in documenting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until the next post, his narration is hysterical.

      Delete

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...